Back When... Gardening on the Delta
James Lennox McPherson | University of Washington Special collection
A young girl and boy stand in a cabbage patch in McGrath sometime around 1914.
A young girl and boy stand in a cabbage patch in McGrath sometime around 1914. Old Town McGrath was a meeting place for neighboring villagers and in 1904 Abraham Appel established a trading post at the site. After the 1906 discovery of gold in the region, McGrath became the trading center for the area. The town was established in 1907. Mining declined after 1925. And after a major flood of the Kuskokwim River in 1933, some residents moved across the river. The Old Town site became a slough when the river’s path changed.