Best in the West winners announced
Best in the West
Mike White makes his presentation to the Best in the West judges.
The UAF Kuskokwim Campus Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center and Best in the West partners have announced the winners of the fifth annual small business competition.
This year’s winners are:
• Jo Ann Bennett, Chevak, All Colors Painting $5,000.
• Evelyn Day, Bethel, Sew What?, $5,000.
• Dunia Morgon, Kalskag, Resource of Gravel, $4,500.
• Mike White, Goodnews Bay, The Big Baluga $4,000.
• Nikki Colbert, Bethel, Southwest Childcare Coop, $2,000.
• Jacqueline Cleveland, Quinahagak, Ciulanita Qanruyutait, $1,500.
• Joan Dewey, Bethel, Bethel Canine Boarding $1,500.
There were 17 applicants, 14 finalists, 10 presentations and seven winners.
The annual small business competition is an opportunity to build small businesses in the Y-K region and promote jobs and economic stability.
Best in the West
Evelyn Day showed her creations at the final presentations.
Those entered in Best in the West attend workshops to develop their business plans, budget, market analysis and presentations.
The 2014 Best in the West small business competition starts in May 2014 and all Y-K residents interested in starting a small business are encouraged to apply.
This year the partnership supporting the competition expanded to nine with KUC/YPCC, Bethel Community Services Foundation, First National Bank, Coast Village Region Fund, Donlin Gold, Orutsararmuit Native Council, Calsita, Bethel Native Corporation, and Association of Village Council Presidents.
Reyne Athanas is available to work with persons interested in starting a small business on the Y-K Delta. Contact Athanas at email@example.com, 907-543-4538 or stop by the YP Cultural Center during normal business hours.